I know, I know... It’s been a while. Sadly, life gets to you sometimes and all your plans change. You think your going to do one thing and end up doing everything else instead. But my Sophomore year of University has officially come to an end–– meaning I have no more excuses. With the end of my second year came my birthday. I've hit the big 2 0, and I wish I could tell you how this happened. I'm officially an adult, but I feel more like a child. Nevertheless, my birthday came and went so I thought I would share with you some of the things I’ve learned in my 20 years of living.
1. BE NICE TO EVERYONE
2. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE BFFs WITH EVERYONE YOU MEETKindness will get you far. It takes effort, but making that effort reeks reward in the future. You never know what kind of day someone has had, just one act of kindness can make someone else's day that much brighter.
I am the kind of person who gets along with everyone. Things don't tend to bother me and I try my best to be everyone’s best friend. However, as I get older things that didn't use to bother me now do. My pet peeves list is growing and that’s okay! You don't have to be everyone’s friend, honestly it takes a lot of effort with little reward to yourself.
3. BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOURSELF
4. HEALTH IS IMPORTANTLearn to be your own person and do things on your own. The only person you can rely on is yourself. Therefore, the person you should be most comfortable with is yourself. Don’t be afraid to sit in the restaurant, go sightseeing, or watch a film alone. At the end of the day, your stuck with yourself and you should be happy just being with you.
5. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUTGood habits start young. Don't wait till your metabolism slows down to start eating right. Don't wait till your body falls apart to start working out. The people that make health their lifestyle will live happier and healthier lives. Start now, so you wont have to struggle later.
6. SLEEP IS AN AMAZING THINGSome people may have every detail of their life planned out but then something comes along and it all falls apart. Do not feel as if you have to have the answer to every question, the solution to every problem. Take everything one step at a time. Things have a funny way of working out…
7. SEIZE THE DAYThose 4 am nights are messing up with your body. Early to bed, early to rise make a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
8. TRAVELTake every opportunity to do everything you can. Time is limited, so make the most of it. Although Netflix is great and everyone needs to chill from time to time, don't forget to take the opportunity to spend your time doing incredible things. Those memories will last a lifetime, sitting on your bed in your PJs… less so.
9. BREATHEAs you guys know, I love traveling. The more I travel, the more I want to travel. Traveling has been a trendy topic lately but it does not mean you shouldn't want to travel any less. It just means there are more opportunities to do so. Take advantage.
10. YOU STILL HAVE A LOT TO LEARNEvery once in a while just stop and take a breath. We get so caught up in the hustle and bustle we forget to take a little time for ourselves. It's okay to slow down sometimes.
11. FOLLOW YOUR HEARTWhen your young you feel like you know everything... you have a lot to learn. Listen to who's around you. Not everyone may be right, but not everyone is wrong. You won’t know unless your eyes and ears are open to suggestion.
12. LAUGH OFTENIf you feel it, do it. You will regret more of the risks you don't take than the risks you do.
13. QUALITY OF FRIENDS NOT QUANTITYYour best moments will be when your laughing. Remember to take some time and surround yourself with the people that make life fun.
14. YOU DON'T NEED SOMEONE TO LOVE YOU TO LOVE YOURSELFIt’s better to have two great friends than 20 o.k. friends. Hold on to amazing people and let go of the ones that don't fit the bill.
15. TAKE THINGS AS THEY AREWhether that be a friend, a partner, or a relative, no one can replace the love you have for yourself.
16. BIG DREAMS REQUIRE ACTIONThings happen. Life happens. Don’t feel as if you need to take grasp of everything that happens in your life. Sometimes, things are just out of your control and that's okay!
Have big dreams, but don’t expect someone else to chase them for you. If you want something you have to fight for it. If you don't succeed than keep trying until you do. But if you do nothing, you'll get nothing.
17. STOP CHASING PERFECTION
You aren't perfect and never will be and that's not a bad thing. The earlier you realize that you are human the happier you will be. Your going to make mistakes, embrace them!!
De-cluttering your life can be a very liberating thing. You'd be surprised at all the things you have but don't need, they only drag you down.
19. TAKE PICTURES OFTEN
I used to hate taking pictures, but as I get older I appreciate more the stories those photos bring me. As you get older you forget about those little moments. Pictures are a nice thing to look back on when you start to forget.
20. LIVE IN THE MOMENT
A cliche, I know. However, we get all caught up in the technology we forget to look at what's around us. There is an amazing and beautiful world out there, remember to look at it with your own eyes and not on a screen.
I hope you enjoyed my 20 little things I’ve learned over the years. Feel free to leave a comment below, I’d love to hear from you!!